The Xperia Z1 is finally official and was just announced Sony’s press event at IFA in Berlin. The new smartphone is the successor to the Xperia Z and includes some massive improvements. The design of the device is very similar to that of the Xperia Z with it now being a complete aluminium uni body housing and removal of some annoying connection flaps(don’t worry it’s still waterproof).
The stand out specs for the new Xperia Z1 are the 2.2GHz Quad-core Snapdragon 800 CPU from Qualcomm. Not to forget the 20.7MP camera with Sony’s G Lens with f2.0 aperture and 27mm wide angle view.The viewing side of things we have a 5-inch Triluminos display with a 1080p resolution. The battery is an impressive 3,000mAh battery, with the device supporting 4G LTE and of course Bluetooth, WiFi and NFC, it will come in handy.
- Sony’s “G Lens”: A lens with F2.0 and wide angle 27mm as well as 3x clear image zoom.
- BIONZ for mobile: Image processing engine with the algorithm from Sony’s leading digital compact cameras. It ensures pictures have less noise, fast auto-focus as well as high stable images for video shooting, preventing shots from being blurred.
- 1/2.3-type Exmor RS for mobile CMOS image sensor with 20.7MP: high sensitivity sensor capturing huge amounts of detail for sharp, crisp images, even in low-light conditions.
- Dust and water-resistant (IP55 & IP58), with acclaimed OmniBalance design featuring durable tempered glass and solid one-piece aluminium frame
- Qualcomm Snapdragon™800 quad-core 2.2 Ghz processor, 3000 mAh battery, 4G LTE
- Xperia Camera Applications such as Social live which broadcast to Facebook. More applications will be available to download from Sony Select.
- Memory: RAM 2 GB, Flash memory up to 16 GB, Expansion slot microSD™ card, up to 64 GB.
- Available in black, white and purple colour variants
The camera is a big part of the Xperia Z1 and because of that the camera app sports many new features including some involving taken pictures and others that make it easier to share. The impressive camera can take 61 images in 2 seconds and this even counts for a few images just before you hit the capture button.
- Social live: Broadcast precious moments live from Xperia Z1 to Facebook and get your friends’ comments right on your screen.
- Info-eye™: Innovative visual search function that provides related information on landmarks and on items such as books or wine simply by capturing them with the camera.
- Timeshift burst: Capture the perfect shot every time – Xperia Z1 takes 61 images in 2 seconds – a second before and after pressing the shutter – so you can scroll back and forth to find the perfect image.
- AR effect: Overlay a selection of fun, customizable animations to create pictures using Sony’s SmartARTM augmented reality technology.
Availability for the Xperia Z1 is by the end of the month in select countries and of course this depends on your local carriers as well. Price has yet to be detailed but we will update once we have that information.